Antiviral drugs are used for treating viral infections. However, antiviral drugs
do not destroy their target pathogen, they only inhibit their development.
Brand Name: Zovirax 200mg tab, 250mg /vial for I.V. inj; Cyclovir 200 mg tab, 5%
skin cream; Herpex 200mg tab; Ocuvir 200, 400, 800 mg tabs, 3% eye cream.
Acyclovir is effective in patients with normal as well as deficient immune status.
- Genital Herpes simplex infection.
Mucocutaneous H.simplex disease which is localized to lips and gums. This may not
require specific treatment, but may require 10 day treatment with acyclovir.
- H.simplex encephalitis- Acyclovir is the drug of choice.
- H.simplex keratitis.
- Herpes zoster and chicken pox.
- Topical - Stinging and burning sensation after each application.
Oral - The drug is well tolerated, headache, nausea, malaise and some CNS effects
Intravenous - Sweating, rashes, emesis and fall in B.P occur in only few patients.
Brand Name: Famtrex 250, 500 mg tabs.
Famciclovir inhibits H.simplex and H.zoster but not acyclovir resistant strains
Brand Name: Retravir, Zidovir 100mg cap, 300 mg tab.
Zidovudine is used with combination with other 2 antiretro virus drugs in HIV cases.
- Anaemia and neutropenia are the most important side effect.
Nausea, anorexia, abdominal pain, headache, insomnia and myalgia are common at the
start of the therapy but diminish later.
- Myopathy, lactic acidosis, hepatomegaly, convulsions and encephalopathy are infrequent.
Brand Name: Dinex 100 mg tab
Brand Name: Stag, Stavir 30, 40 mg tab.
Brand Name: Lamivir 150 mg tab; Lamivir-hbv 100 mg tab; Hepatavir 100, 150 mg tabs.