- Brush and floss your teeth regularly.
- Get an overall dental checkup from a good dental professional atleast every 6 months.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid use of tobacco and alcohol.
- Decrease intake of sweets made from refined sugar.
- During pregnancy, emphasise on high intake of healthy food and good oral care.
- Personally brush the teeth of your children on a regular basis. Once they start
brushing on their own, you supervise them for better oral hygiene.
- Dental caries and periodontal (gum) disease are the most common oral diseases.
- Dental caries are observed in about 60-90% of school gssoing children.
- Gum disease is observed in 5-20% of middle-aged adults.
- In 1,00,000 population, about 1 to 10 individuals get affected with oral cancer.
The number varies according to the geographical location.
In the HIV positive population about 40-50% are infected with oral fungal, bacterial
or viral infections.